Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Cheesy girl books

So I decided not to watch T.V. late at night anymore... (despite my secret obsession with Steven Colbert- sorry Conan, you've been replaced) And so I've been reading before I go to bed. Since I'm not a fantasy geek like Wakeling, I've been reading a series that my wife owns, called: "The Mark of the Lion" by Francine Rivers. (Sorry Eric, but it's true)

What I'm really surprised by is how encouraging these books have been to me. They take place around 40 years after Jesus' death and follow the lives a Jewish girl, a family from Rome, and a German gladiator. Anyway, I don't know how historically accurate Rivers is in her writing -it seems like she's done her homework, but for the first time I feel like I've been given an inside view of what life must have been like for the early church (at least in Rome and Ephesus.)

Accurate or not, reading this series has made me think about, and want to love Jesus more. For that it's been worth my while. I'm not a big fiction reader, but this in case, it's been fun.

Any good books i need to add to my list? -let me know

10 comments:

Alicia147 said...

Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman is pretty cool...it's all of the author's speculations on time written in short story form (each chapter's a new "story", imagined by Einstein as he goes through his everyday life).

Doug Brown said...

I heard, (THE LIES WOMEN BELIEVE AND THE TRUTH THAT SETS THEM FREE) is good might want to check that out.

Deuce said...

If you haven't read the Hobbit, do so.

A great biography is The Life of Antony, by Athanasius. It talks about a man who gave up everything to seek God.

paul nellis said...

hey timo.
believe it or not, vampire thriller writer, anne rice, has had a radical life encounter with jesus in the last few years. noting that you seem to enjoy historical fiction, you might want to check out christ the lord: the road to cana pretty phenom stuff!
another historical page turner is called the killer angels by michael shaara this one is a civil war book
save a buck and try your local library!

Matt Doan said...

What's next, Anne of Green Gables?
Wow, we really need a guy night soon, what have you become?

Robbie Conrad said...

I think Im gunna have to read these too. dang francine rivers suck you in.

Mae Leah said...

i hear "every young woman's battle" is a good one. maybe right up your alley.

just kidding. i dont mean for my first comment on your blog to be so sarcastic, but sometimes i cant help it.

Melissa Brosch said...

Redeeming Love! Redeeming Love! Redeeming Love!!!! (meant to be read in chant form)

Our Family said...

I just got done reading Reedeeming Love by Francine Rivers...Amazing book. She gets her inspiration from the book of Hosea. It opened my eyes more to how much God really loves us. Thats so cool you are reading Francine Rivers...Ive only heard women rave about her, its nice to hear a man, thats great Tim. I want to read the Mark of the Lion series, but for now I am reading one of hers called the atonement child, its about a young girl contemplating abortion.
Anyways..Francine River Rocks!!

Morgan Miller said...

tim loves francine rivers!


About Me

I'm a follower of Jesus, Husband to a beautiful wife, father to an amazing boy, and Pastor to wonderful people. I live in Alameda with my wife Natalie. I love food and have secret aspirations of being a chef. I would also love to live in the mountains some day, and have a closet full of flannels.