Sunday, February 17, 2008

A 1st for everything


I am sitting at Natalie's grandparents house up in Paradise California right now. We just finished eating some burgers, and now are sitting next to the fire in the living room.
I'm supposed to be in Mexico right now getting ready to wrap up a house building trip with my high school group. So why am I here instead of there? I'm not really sure...

About 5 weeks ago I read an article about all of the sketchy things that were happening to people traveling throughout Baja. A bunch of people got robbed, and worse... This is nothing new for places we go for missions trip (look at L.A. Urban), but for some reason I couldn't shake this out of my head. Instead of fading as the trip got closer, my uneasiness grew, all the way to the point that I decided to do something that I have never done before... I canceled our trip.

Now, this isn't like me... I've never been one to avoid situations that God has called us to because of an uneasy feeling, but I couldn't bring these kids down for this specific trip for some reason. I don't know if it is because I feel alot like a protective father to some of the kids that were coming on this trip, or if it were something God put on my heart. Whatever it was, it was weird, and I think it was the right decision to make...

2 comments:

Eric Wakeling said...

what does that say about Doan?

Timoteo said...

mmmmm... he's about to leave high school ministry, what does it matter if he loses a couple of kids on his last Mexico trip? He can write about it in his memoirs


About Me

I'm a follower of Jesus, Husband to a beautiful wife, father to an amazing boy, and Pastor to wonderful people. I live in Alameda with my wife Natalie. I love food and have secret aspirations of being a chef. I would also love to live in the mountains some day, and have a closet full of flannels.