Thursday, September 13, 2007

Pastors Union


So I was listening to the radio the other day and heard that the grocery store clerks were going on strike... again. Then my wife tells me that the nurses in her union at Sharp medical center went on strike last month, and they all got a $2 per hour raise.

So I have started fantasizing about developing a pastors union.

One that gives us every other Christmas off, 40 hour work weeks, and no phone answering obligations on our days off. My union would also pay extra for overtime, and we would be rewarded for good work with stock options. Thats right, you could actually gain ownership in the church. (I would start with the sound equipment) I figure since I'll never own a house because I work at a church, I mind as well get some sweet sound equipment. We would also be able to tell repeat 'complainers' that they were not allowed to comment on the services anymore.

We could also go on strike. I can just see it now... Sunday morning rolls around and all of the pastors are outside their churches with signs, yelling "scaaaaaaabb!!" to the old lady who plays the organ and the nursery workers as they walk in the doors.


This would help the congregation to have compassion on us pastors, it would help them realize that just because we are pastors, doesn't mean we have taken the vow of poverty.

Hahahaha, though not a reality, it sure is entertaining to think about,

I think I need a day off.

4 comments:

Eric Wakeling said...

It makes me nervous how much I loved this post. Does that mean my heart is in the wrong place????

If we went on strike all the upper management (elders, executive pastors, sr pastors) would have to do everything that the associate level pastors have done. Just like when you would see Albertson's executives working the cash register and stocking fruit during the grocery store strike. They would have to lead worship for Jr High, clean the nursery toys, do all-nighters for 11 year olds, and clean the 2A closet. That would be sweet.

Timoteo said...

I can see it now... The senior pastor unloading the trailer after Romp on Sunday morning @ 1am, still having no Idea what his message was going to be on in 8 hours. The executive pastor trying to explain to 3 moms why their kids didn't show up at church after the beach night, and the elder board coming up with a theme and crowd breakers for the next barf night. It's a thing of beauty ehh!

Kim Tostada said...

hey tim,
I really liked this post, especially the part of the complainers.. It's a good thing I don't get those complainer emails because I would tell them to go complain to somebody who cares.. but that's just me.

Ruth Blank said...

I know this was written tongue in cheek, but it is so funny - and would so shake up the church to be more aware of sharing the ministry. It would also get the elders and deacons more in touch with what goes on in the details of ministry - like how many hours pastors spend on the phone, in hospitals, and one on one counseling. Or how much pastors spend out of their own pocket - willingly - to help out the people they come in contact. I do think you have something going here! Bet you could work up a good talk out of this idea!


About Me

I'm a follower of Jesus, Husband to a beautiful wife, father to an amazing boy, and Pastor to wonderful people. I live in Alameda with my wife Natalie. I love food and have secret aspirations of being a chef. I would also love to live in the mountains some day, and have a closet full of flannels.