Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Death

My grandma is dying right now. She has anywhere from a few hours to a few days to live. Last week one of Natalie's co-workers who was married and had two kids (7 and 9 years old) died of cancer. Then two days later one of Nat's friends had her mom die unexpectedly.
I'm not to sure about where I stand on the whole death topic. I know what I believe happens after we die, but I don't know what I think about death right now.

I've always felt as if I would die at a relatively young age (some time before 50yrs), and thats never really bothered me. There's nothing in life that I desperately want to experience before I die. It would be cool to be a dad I guess, but I'm satisfied with what God has allowed me to experience until now.

I've started to adopt this attitude that treats anything I get to experience in this life, other than what I already have, as a 'Bonus', instead of what I "should" get to experience. It has made a lot of the little things I used to take for granted seem like blessings, and things that used to seem like blessings become incredible acts of grace from my God. It's been pretty cool.

I guess I find myself holding life loosely, and in turn have started to hold death loosely. Maybe this is me starting to embrace the inevitable, or maybe it's me in denial... or maybe a little bit of both.

1 comment:

Kim Tostada said...

hey Tim (and Nat)

Keeping you and your fam in our thoughts and prayers.


Love the Estradas


About Me

I'm a follower of Jesus, Husband to a beautiful wife, father to an amazing boy, and Pastor to wonderful people. I live in Alameda with my wife Natalie. I love food and have secret aspirations of being a chef. I would also love to live in the mountains some day, and have a closet full of flannels.